Assistant Vice President, Controller – Large Segment of Insurance Co.
The Small Commercial Controller is a critical role at the Company, providing leadership and oversight across the strategically important five small commercial business units, totaling more than $4 billion. The controller position reports to the CFO for Small Commercial and has regular interactions with the Small Commercial and Business Insurance Finance leadership teams. Core responsibilities include all controllership functions and overseeing accounting and reporting activities, to generating insightful management information to understand results and drive better business outcomes, through reviewing and influencing the Company's SEC documents (10K’s, 10Q’s. etc.). Additionally, this role oversees all internal control and accounting policy matters pertaining to Small Commercial and partners closely with the Company's Chief Accounting Office’s group when and where appropriate. This role is a key leadership position across the Business Insurance Finance team.
- • Oversees the accurate and timely close of all Small Commercial books & records.
- • Delivers informative financial reporting to explain historical results, while also delivering business insights to influence the business for better outcomes to the Small Commercial Leadership team.
- • A key member of the Business Insurance (~$20 billion) Controllership team in setting and managing accounting policies, internal control protocols and financial analysis tools.
- • Interfaces with all other functions that impact Business Insurance results (e.g. Billing, Premium Audit, etc.)
- • Plays a critical role in developing processes, controls and reporting for unique transactions (e.g. M&A, reinsurance)
- • Leverage business perspectives to lead robust financial analyses and operational perspectives with a focus on key performance metrics (i.e. production, profitability, expense management, staffing).
- • Lead the development and creation of overall financial/business plan, budget, and forecasts.
- • Partner with and influence across multiple functions in order to develop strong analyses and financial and strategic plans.
- • Oversee creation, accuracy and completeness of external financial statements which may include GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), SEC and STAT (Statutory Accounting Principles) with a comprehensive view of the impact they have on the organization.
- • Develop, maintain, and certify complex financial controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- • Oversee implementation of business and financial regulatory changes related to financial reporting, such as reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, etc.
- • As a manager of people, you will provide leadership, coaching, training, planning, staffing, and performance management and development to employees, in addition to ensuring the understanding of departmental objectives, vision, and strategy.
- • Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics, and/or professional designations, such as CPA, CMA or comparable advanced professional education.
- • Extensive experience with Financial Analysis concepts, principles, processes, applications and accounting practices and principles within the insurance and financial services industry.
- • Exceptional communication, collaboration, and influencing skills with the ability to present and influence complex information to senior leadership and functional partners in relevant business terms.
- • Exceptional data analysis skills with the ability to interpret trends and report insights and recommendations to business partners.
- • A proven track record as a leader who is well-respected and highly organized, with the ability to mentor, coach, and develop team members and strategically align resources to accomplish key objectives.
- • Demonstrated experience in developing and planning effective strategies, with the ability to lead a team to implement those strategies.
- • Minimum 7 years of related work experience.; Minimum of 5 years of management experience.
Salary:$190,000 - $225,000 + Bonus + Equity
Location:Greater Hartford, CT; Hybrid schedule
Contact Us to Discuss this Position
Phone Contact: 860.249.7120
Career Moves, LLC
100 Pearl Street, 14th Floor
Hartford, CT 06103-4506