Business Unit Controller – Banking
The Business Unit Controller leads the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close process including monthly financial reporting in accordance with GAAP for the Business Unit. This position will be responsible for implementing policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate. The position is also responsible for providing technical accounting support on complex business transactions and financial statement disclosures in accordance with US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
This Business Unit Controller will report to the organization's Corporate Controller and is responsible for managing the accounting, reporting, and analysis necessary to support decision making for the organization. The ideal candidate should have a passion for finding solutions to complex problems, be a self-starting, highly detailed professional who practices discretion in all corporate matters, and doesn't mind working with numerous matters at once. The Business Unit Controller respects deadlines, and doesn't mind wearing a few hats at a time, especially during peak times.
- • Oversees timely month-end closing of the general ledger for the Business Unit. This includes the preparation of journal entries, reconciliation of accounts, and the timely and accurate preparation and/or review of all significant financial information/reports, including variance analysis with commentary.
- • Foster a strong internal control focused environment. Ensure SOX controls are properly designed and operationally effective and are adhered to by all relevant personnel; keep abreast of financial and audit standards and regulations.
- • Manage the accounting for various consumer and business banking lending activities including FAS 91 (ASC 310) cost studies, TDR identification, and other accounting and reporting lending activities (e.g., accrual and return-to-accrual evaluations, Ginnie Mae repurchases, MSR amortization, repurchase reserve, etc.).
- • Perform contract reviews to determine accounting and financial reporting impacts
- • Serve as a partner to the business line - analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations.
- • Survey operations to ascertain accounting needs, and recommend, develop, or maintain solutions to business and financial accounting matters.
- • Research and provide day-to-day technical support to members of Finance, Accounting, and business unit constituents on the treatment of accounting issues in compliance with U.S. GAAP and SEC requirements.
- • Facilitate and ensure successful audits and reviews (External and Regulatory audits, Internal audits, SOX, etc.).
- • Bachelor's degree in accounting required, CPA preferred.
- • Minimum of 7 years of accounting experience with a strong understanding of U.S. GAAP
- • Demonstrated ability to work independently, coordinate the efforts of others and work well with people at a wide range of levels
- • Strong analytical skills, written and verbal communication skills.
Salary:$120,000 - $140,000 + Bonus
Location:West of Hartford, CT
Contact Us to Discuss this Position
Phone Contact: 860.249.7120
Career Moves, LLC
100 Pearl Street, 14th Floor
Hartford, CT 06103-4506